Wednesday, October 1, 2008

On donating to food shelves

Okay first off if you didn't know how bad my life is you do now.

Plus, I am very full of gratitude to people who donate food items to food shelves no matter what it is.

That being said, please try to think when you donate things to food shelves, it isn't like the receipients aren't thrilled with anything that has calories but perhaps err on the side of practicality?

For anyone who doesn't know how a food shelf works at least in my area, you can go once a month and they give you a couple bags of food based on how many people are in your families. So you get in our case, for example, 4 bags of groceries whihc have been donated. There is some good stuff - canned beef stew, chili, toilet paper, milk but there are some odd things too - like the box of sugar cones for ice cream. I mean no offense but huh? The Ramen noodles are handy enough and the rice was great, the sugar free jello is cool my daughter will like it but no calories does not in fact end hunger. The condensed soup is awesome - tomato and vegetable beef are good flavors especially in fall.

Anyway, I am happy to have stuff to make a dinner for my daughter tonight and the Internet for another day and a healthy daughter and free breakfast and reduced price lunch for her at school.... and a husband who loves me and there are many things for which I am blessed by whatever benevolence exists in the world. I am hoping we can just make do until my husband who seems to finally have his health uissues licked can work a fuill couple weeks at work - then there will be a little more money anyway.

1 comment:

Timothe Skye Loya said...

I agree, and we're working on a program on campus to raise the awareness that people who utilize food assistance aren't just hungry around the holiday season. We're hoping to get donations of canned and non-perishable goods to be a monthly thing.